COLOUR IS KEY
Choosing colour is choosing health! Read on for Kim’s top nutrition guidelines about eating the rainbow and the importance of hydration.
The more colourful your plate, the more nutritious the food you’re eating. If you’re watching sugar levels, try blueberries and raspberries as they’re lower in fructose but full of powerful phytonutrients. Search for foods packed with Lycopene such as carrots, sweet potatoes, squash and red tomatoes – it’s great for helping to protect you from heart disease, stroke and high blood pressure. Also found in peppers, papaya and even watermelon, Lycopene is in its most usable form when cooked and combined with healthy fats.
SO HERE ARE THE GOOD FATS
GOOD | Grass-fed, organic, sustainably raised lamb, beef, bison,, venison; organic chicken, duck and turkey; omega 3 pasture-raised eggs, organic, free range, pasture-raised lard.
FISH & SEAFOOD
GOOD | Wild fatty fish: sardines, mackerel, herring, black cod, wild salmon. Shellfish, including clams, oysters, mussels, shrimp, scallops, and crab; calamari or octopus.
DAIRY & DAIRY SUBSTITUTES
GOOD | Grass-fed butter, ghee, unsweetened nut and seed milks (almond, cashew, hemp, hazlenut).
NUTS & SEEDS
GOOD | Almonds, macadamia, walnuts, pecans and Brazil nuts. Hemp, chia, pumpkin, sesame, flax. Nut and seed butters (without added sugars or bad oils).
GOOD | Coconut butter; organic, virgin, cold-pressed, unrefined coconut oil; organic, extra-virgin cold-pressed olive oil; MCT oil; organic flax seed oil; organic, expeller-pressed refined avocado oil; walnut, pumpkin seed, pistachio and hemp oils.
WHOLE GOOD FATS
GOOD | Avocado, olives, cacao butter, dark chocolate.
H20 – Are you getting enough? Adequate hydration ensures the following:
- COMBATS FATIGUE – you can’t run on all four cylinders if you’re dehydrated. Water is one of the most important sources of energy for your body. It helps cells complete important enzymatic activities which contribute to good sleep, restoration of bodily systems, and the production of ample energy to get you through your day.
- REDUCES HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE – When the body is fully hydrated, the blood is approximately 92% water. This helps to keep the blood moving freely through the veins and arteries, helping to prevent high blood pressure and other cardiovascular ailments.
- HALTS ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA – When the body is dehydrated, it creates more histamines – organic nitrous compounds which help to regulate our immune response. if we have too many histamines circulating, we will feel congested and have difficulty breathing, along with other allergic reactions caused by the body’d response to foreign bodies.
- REDUCES ACNE, DERMATITIS, PSORIASIS AND PREMATURE AGEING OF THE SKIN – With proper hydration, the skin practically glows. Without it, our skin cannot properly rid itself of toxins and so it becomes irritated, inflamed and congested, causing a host of unsavoury results such as itching, blackheads, redness, acne and general blotchiness.
- PREVENTS HIGH CHOLESTEROL – When the body hasn’t had enough water, it will start to produce more cholesterol so that cells can still function properly.
- ELIMINATES DIGESTIVE DISORDERS – Water can help eliminate and reduce the incidence of ulcers, bloating, gas, gastritis, acid reflux, and IBS. You will also experience less frequent constipation as water helps matter move more quickly through the intestinal tract. A well-hydrated body simply purges toxins and metabolic wastes better.
- FLUSHES OUT UNWANTED BACTERIA FROM BLADDER AND KIDNEYS – People who are well-hydrated experience less frequent bladder or kidney infections as water helps to flush out any unwanted microbes that can accumulate in these eliminative organs. These organs are especially sensitive to disease without proper hydration as they are responsible for eliminating stored toxins and bodily waste.
- SPEEDS UP JOINT AND CARTILAGE REPAIR – Most of the padding in our cartilage is made up of water, so if we don’t drink enough of it, our bones will feel stiff and out joints will take a beating. Joint repair after workouts or injuries is also expedited by proper hydration.
- PREVENTS GAINING UNWANTED WEIGHT – When our cells are depleted of water, they cannot create the energy we need to function, so they send a signal to the brain to ‘get more goods’. This means you will eat more, and likely carry some unwanted kilos. To avoid this, simply stay hydrated and your cells will stay happy, not sending ‘fat signals’ to the brain. Further – and more obviously – replacing other drink s with water will help naturally keep the weight off. Some water with lemon each morning can be especially beneficial.
- SLOWS THE AGEING PROCESS – Finally, all of our organs require copious amounts of water to function properly. If we stay dehydrated for long stretches, every cell, organs and system in the body have to work harder, meaning we age faster. Drinking enough water literally keeps you feeling, looking and acting young – for longer.
Wishing you good health and wellness,
The team at Empower Studio.